Thursday, July 03, 2008

Three Little Birds

As with most societies these days Callum's school is very mixed cultural wise. We live in a Borough that has a lot of immigration to it which is rewarding and enriching. So as to embrace this it seems that Callum's school has been teaching him and his classmates various songs which not only seem to have meanings relating to people being different but also about making friends and being there for each other. Now Callum takes after me in lots of ways as it is always being pointed out to me not just by Daz but by lots of other people, so it seems only fitting that he also has my lack of musical talent, I am tone deaf. Still this aside it's so lovely and cute to hear Callum sitting outside playing with his cars singing one of the many songs he has learnt at school. It's got to the stage now that Callum even has his own playlist on our iTunes of these songs and it's an interesting task trying to work out which song he has been taught from the few lines he can remember (thank you google!) then tracking it down for us to buy and adding to his list and then learning the whole song.

So far the songs he has learnt are:

Bob Marley - Three Little Birds
Stevie Wonder - Ebony and Ivory
Bill Withers - Lean on Me
Keane - Everybody's Changing
S Club 7 - Reach
Queen - We Will Rock You
Dionne Warwick - That's What Friends Are For

Out of those his favourite seems to be Bob's song which I have no problems about Bob Marley was a hugely talented person and the song is a nice sweet song, which Callum after us only singing it through twice now knows all the words to. I also like the message in it about not worrying about things, I often worry that my special little man himself worries about too many things, you can see his brain ticking over thinking about things and it's not unusual for him to pent up worries and then suddenly one night burst out crying with them all. I hope this song helps him to realise that he can tell people and that together we can work it out to make everything alright. Also Bob's song is the one song each night he will ask me to sing to him before he goes to sleep.

I love waiting to hear what the newest song is and I hope his school continues to do this. It is in my opinion a fun way to teach kids about music but also about life too. Well done Cranbrook Primary School.

No comments: